Re: Plaform recommendation for Oracle?

From: Kergoat <Michel.Kergoat_at_der.edfgdf.fr>
Date: 1997/11/03

thomasl_at_expansion.com wrote:

> It depends on your needs really. How big is your expected database growth
> size? How many users will be using the system?
>
> I am partial to Unix environments. Scaleability and Speed.
> NT is just OK. That's all I have to say about NT. Unix is the choice I would
> go with.
> >I would like to receive any recomendations for a platform for Oracle.

  I agree with Thomas.
IMHO, NT could be reliable for a one-instance-database-only server. That is, not recomended as stand-alone-do-everythings server, with name authentication, mail server, and so on for groupware.
For doing that, 3 NT boxes could work... For proof, you could take a look at the datapro's report on byte 10/97, about the new "little" box from Sun, which is said more powerfull than NT "big" servers. And Sun's advertisement shows that it is their little box... I myself experienced Sun Spark 20 with 15 persons development team always compiling and testing, with at least 3 Oracles instances, and groupware management, and that was usefull...

Regards

Michel :-) Received on Mon Nov 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CST