Re: Possible bug with Oracle Web Application Server 3.0.0.18.0

From: Terje Sannum <ts_at_nextel.no>
Date: 1997/10/31

Asad Rustum <asad_at_online.bonnier.se> writes:

> We have recently migrated from OWS2.1 to WAS3.0.0.18.0 (Solaris 2.5.1).
> Our applications were working just fine under OWS2.1. One of them would
> display different options if you had authenticated yourself , i.e if
> you, through your browser, had set the envirement variable REMOTE_HOST.
> The application would get the enviroment variable using Oracle's PL/SQL
> package owa_util.get_cgi_env().
>
> Since we migrated, this does not work any more. After looking into it,
> it seems that WAS3.0, or rather the owa_util package does not even
> attempt to get REMOTE_USER.
>
> Please, have any of you run into this problem? If so, how did you
> resolve it. I'd love to have a workaround for it.

Have you checked if the PL/SQL agent really is protected? I think protecting the root directory in the listener will not apply to the pl/sql agents, only it's own virtual directories e.g. files and cgi-scripts.

I'm not sure about this, but it seems impossible to get the pl/sql agent and the web listener to use the same protection mechanisms. I think you will have to define the users both in the listener and in the authorization server. Another annoying thing is that these username are stored in the servers configuration files, so you will have to restart everything if you add, remove or edit a user.

We also had problems getting the pl/sql agent protected with the authorization server and getting hold of the username in out pl/sql procedures. What we did was to write our own authenicate function for the pl/sql agent. That way we could store all the userdata in the database and authenticate directly against it. No need to restart the wrb, but we still need to export the userdata and define it for the listener. It would be nice if some one from Oracle could comment this, I haven't found any people at support who _really_ knows the OWS.

You will find information about custom authentication in the pl/sql agent at http://www.olab.com/documentation/WAS-Sol-3/plaguse8.htm

-Terje Received on Fri Oct 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CST