Oracle on Sun/Dec Alpha/HP Unix

From: Amit Aggarwal <amaggarwal_at_kendle.com>
Date: 1997/10/30

Hi Guys:

I am sure this has been discussed may times, but I would be interested in replies from someone who has been a Oracle DBA on both Sun and Digital Unix boxes.

We have two Digital boxes both running Digital Unix (3.0 and 4.0) and we are satisfied with the peformance. Now we are looking into buying another big Unix box. My boss seems to be big fan of Digital machines and he is pressing on that. I am a Oracle DBA/Unix SA and wanted to look into all other possibilities before we put money into this.

Could I expect a better performance or better backup mechanisms (both from Oracle's backup and Unix backup's) point of view which machine would be better. Normally money will not be a deciding factor, but mainly reliability, backup mechanisms and performance. One advantage of SUN I know is that Oracle comes out first on SUN and much later on DEC. We will be using the box mainly for Oracle database and probably nothing else.

Thanks for the replies.

Amit
Oracle DBA/Unix SA Received on Thu Oct 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CST