Re: Oracle Expert - Any Good?

From: Ronan Miles <milesr_at_entcf2.agw.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1997/10/29

AlwynCoopr wrote:

> Anyone used oracle expert, i have just tried it out and got loads of index
> recommendations. Do I just take it all with a pinch of salt or just let it do
> its bit and create them?

We have used it. We found that it the advice it gave could be quite good and in general it seemed to have the expertise of a 'moderate' DBA.

More interestingly, when we kept running it against a database which had been changed according to its recommendations, we found it started to contradict itself.

Baseline, it gives advice but you should think about it before applying it. If you know your database is poorly tuned, then the probability is that it will do more good than harm. If you are well tuned or have some odd circumstances, it may not help as much as you would like.

Regards,
Ronan.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect my employers