Re: Exporting structure

From: Amit Aggarwal <amaggarwal_at_kendle.com>
Date: 1997/10/29

Steve wrote:

> We need to export a user's schema, structure only, make sizing changes
> then import this in another instance. I know that the file in which
> export puts out is a binary file and you're not suppose to edit it.
> Is there a problem if I take what it exports modify it and clean it up
> and then instead of using import just execute it as a SQL script or is
> this a bad idea?
>
> Will I be missing any constraints/indexes etc?
>
> I talked with someone during Oracle Openworld in the Campground area and
> they said that there was an undocumented ascii export option. When I
> got back I called Oracle Support and they never heard of it.
>
> I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Steve

If you want you can edit the export file but remember it is only the create/alter commands which you can edit. The data is in the binary format and while saving the file again you have to be very careful. You might like to test this with a small export file.

amit
Oracle DBA/Unix SA Received on Wed Oct 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CST