How to get version number?

From: Gregg Sporar <gregg_sporar_at_i2.com>
Date: 1997/10/29

I'm new to the Oracle world (but not to relational databases) and have a question about the SQLLDR utility. Our application needs to load large blocks of data and SQLLDR appears to be the correct way to do it. Our application will only run on Win95/NT clients, which is where we also want to run SQLLDR. The tricky part is that we want it to work with any version of Oracle >= 7. It appears that Oracle, however, has put the version number into the name of the SQLLDR executable. As an example, the Oracle client software I installed has SQLLDR73.EXE. My assumption then is that for v7.2, the file is called SQLLDR72.EXE and is SQLLDR80.EXE for v8, etc.

Is there a "correct" way to figure out the name so that our application can exec the appropriate SQLLDR file? The sys.v_$version and sys.sm_$version tables appear to have version info. in them - is the correct solution to get the version info. from one of these tables and use it to construct the correct SQLLDR filename on-the-fly? I would hate to have to hardcode several different filenames, and even if I did, I would still need to figure out the Oracle version number at runtime.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA, Gregg Sporar
i2 Technologies Received on Wed Oct 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CST