Re: RDB to Oracle 7.3

From: John Hough <houghj_at_ornl.gov>
Date: 1997/10/28

braz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are looking to convert a database on our Digital machine that is running
> under RDB. We want to convert to Oracle 7.3 on a Sun box.
>
> What is the best way to "export" data from the RDB database and "import" it
> to Oracle 7.3??
> Is this even possible? Any methods suggested would be appreciated!

Given a similar scenario we chose to use the rmu/unload facility to unload the rdb data into comma delimited files. We then used the sqlloader facility to load it into the oracle-7 files. The only gotcha's I remember had to do with dates. We placed a to_date in the control file to get them in the proper format (you will have to leave three blanks in the end since oracle7 does not support the 100ths of a second). It is my understanding that Oracle may sell a migration utility.

Good luck and I hope this helps,

John Hough