Re: Raw partitions vs. file system

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/10/28

Jan Coekelberghs <jan.coekelberghs_at_ping.be> wrote in article <3458f827.1289460_at_news.belgium.eu.net>...
> Suppose you work as a DBA in a company with +50 Oracle databases, all
> of which use a file system.
>
> Now suppose you 'inherit' a database which uses raw partitions and you
> want to get rid of them (eg. for manageability reasons). Is there a
> way to determine if doing this will hit your performance? How? What
> will (might) be the impact? Are there any other advantages in doing
> so?

AFAIK there is a very small performance increase when using raw partitions as OS i/o is bypassed. Oracle docs I've read suggest that raw partitions be used as the last resort when having i/o problems, so I think you'll be safe to move from raw to cooked files.

However, remember that if you're running OPS on a MMP/cluster-type platform, you have to use raw devices.

regards,
Billy Received on Tue Oct 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST