Re: Q: Redo Log Switching

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: 1997/10/28

On 28 Oct 1997 13:39:21 GMT, "Andreas Hess" <ahess_at_truworths.co.za> wrote:

>Hi All
>
>Just a little something I'm confused about...
>
>According to the Oracle Backup and Recovery Handbook,
>a log switch is triggered when "Foregrounds are no longer
>able to allocate space in the redo log buffer".

I don't have this particular handbook here but there is either a misunderstanding or a "bug" in a text. The fact is that log switch ocurs only after the *online redo log file* is completely filed or DBA manualy forces log switch.

>I have a small (8k) log buffer. My redo log files are 10 Mb each (3
>groups).
>
>Q1: Why does a log switch need to occur just because
> there is no available space in the buffer ? Why can't
> the buffer be flushed to an online redo log file without
> triggering a log switch ?

As stated above, this exactly is the case - no log switch is forced because of redo buffer being flushed.

>Q2: Would a large redo log buffer reduce the number of
> log switches ?

Acording to above, obviously NOT.

>Q3: Follow on to Q2 - would a log buffer which is > the
> online redo log file be the most efficient ?

No. And in most cases it would be unpractical if not impossible to have log buffer greater than log files.

>Q4: Am I missing the point here ?
>
>Thanks in advance for any enlightenment...
>
>Regards,
>
>Andreas

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si		Ministry of Finance
The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Tue Oct 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST