Q: Redo Log Switching

From: Andreas Hess <ahess_at_truworths.co.za>
Date: 1997/10/28

Hi All

Just a little something I'm confused about...

According to the Oracle Backup and Recovery Handbook, a log switch is triggered when "Foregrounds are no longer able to allocate space in the redo log buffer".

I have a small (8k) log buffer. My redo log files are 10 Mb each (3 groups).

Q1: Why does a log switch need to occur just because

        there is no available space in the buffer ? Why can't
        the buffer be flushed to an online redo log file without
        triggering a log switch ?

Q2:  Would a large redo log buffer reduce the number of
        log switches ?

Q3:  Follow on to Q2 - would a log buffer which is > the
        online redo log file be the most efficient ?

Q4: Am I missing the point here ?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment...

Regards,

Andreas   Received on Tue Oct 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST