Re: ORACLE on NT vs. UNIX

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1997/10/28

Patrick Lanphier wrote:

> I would go with NT for the number of concurrent users is very small. I
> agree with the others you should have at least 64 megs of ram and 10
> gigs of hard drive space.
>
> --
> Patrick Lanphier Applied Research Laboratory
> email: pml10_at_psu.edu Pennsylvania State University
>
> Luis Moreno Campos wrote:
> >
> > I'm about to raise a small network from sratch and here the things I have
> > taken for granted:
> > - I'll be working with Oracle Workgroup Server in a 5 user environment
> > - The Server will be HP NetServer E40 32 MB RAM with two SCSI harddisks of 2
> > Giga each and Pentium Pro 200, with OpenServer (which is some kind of Unix
> > made for these machines, I think)
> > - The Clients will have Win95, and obviuosly the Oracle Forms Runtime.
> >
> > What dazzles me is what kind of netmanaging-software to choose, and what
> > kind of operating system? If I choose NT the database will have smaller
> > response times, but I'll have my net-managing and server operating system,
> > all in one, but if I choose Unix, I'll have faster database response times
> > but I don't know which software will manage the net, the mail, and all that
> > stuff. I confess my inexperience in these matters of setting up a network,
> > but the need brings up the knowledge, and I'm a bit in the dark.
> >
> > You can email me to: lcampos_at_cpcis.pt
> >
> > Thanks in Advance.
> >
> > Luis Campos.

Hi,

why suggesting 10 GB of HD-space when you don't know the future size of his db?
To increase disk-performance ORACLE recommends to use a serie independant smaller disks. OS shoul be kept on seperate disk as well as ORACLE-SW. Take a look at ORACLE-Press' DBA-Handbook which will guide you during the process of calculating and setting up a new db. When using NT as OS 128 MB of memory should be used 'cause of the great memory consumption of the OS itself.

--
Regards

M.Gresz    :-)