Re: Installation on Solaris 2.5.1 -- Segmentation Fault

From: D. Kozlov <fox_at_reksoft.ru>
Date: 1997/10/27

Hello Adam,

 I'd had the same problem. It took away three days from my life. This problem can't be solved. The only way to install Oracle 7.3.2.1.0 on a SparcServer is to install Oracle Installer from any other Oracle distribution. We got the Oracle Installer from the Oracle CD with upgrade from Oracle 7.3.2.1.0 up to 7.3.2.3. So firstly we installed the installer from the Upgrade CD, then installed Oracle 7.3.2.1.0, starting the installer from our SparcServer (not from CD), and finally upgrade Oracle 7.3.2.1.0 up to 7.3.2.3 from the Upgrade CD.
 I'm afraid you'll have to go this way too because the original installer seems to be written by a rather careless fellow.

 And the other advice: don't set the same names for your Oracle owner and for the home directory for him.

 For example: the combination User "oracle" and Home Directory "/home/oracle" is not a good choice because during the installation one of the scripts runs grep, searching the UserName in the password file. Then it extracts Home Directories from all the grep lines and concatenates them each other. But grep will return two lines which include name "oracle" - one for the user name and one for its home directory, if they are the same. So if your user is "oracle" and its home is /home/oracle the script will return the directory: /home/oracle/home/oracle. I think it is not necessary to explain what a result will be.

I hope this help you and wish you a good luck. Any questions are very welcome.

Dmitry Kozlov
Russia Snt.Petersburg
fox_at_reksoft.ru

> From: Adam Wierzbicki <adamw_at_icm.edu.pl>