How to estimate database growth

From: Craig Air <craigair_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: 1997/10/27

I need to produce some growth estimates for a large Oracle Data Warehouse.

My approach was going to be (i) calculate the size of each database table and index currently in the database, (ii) divide this by the number of months data stored in the database, then (iii) multiply this figure by the number of months in advance that I need to estimate.

Sounds simple? Well it probably is! However, I am still stuck on point 1. How do I find out how much space is currently taken by each table and index?

If anyone has a better suggestion for estimating database growth then I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

CRAIG Received on Mon Oct 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CST