Re: Catch table droppers

From: Peter H. Larsen <plen_at_novo.dk>
Date: 1997/10/27

Hi,
If you don't want to use the utilities to do what you want to do, you can't do it. It's not recommended - nor always possible, to define triggers on the system/sys dictionary.

AUDIT is the only option for tracing DDL commands. Enabling it requires shutdown - you're right. But you're up 5 seconds later. Change your init script to set AUDIT_TRAIL=TRUE, stop the database and restart it. That's it - it's enabled and ready. Then issue the AUDIT commands from SVRMGR or SQL*Plus.

Most databases are shut down during the night. Very few databases require 24hours availability. If that is the case, you must work with the DBA to find when they will shut it down to change the status. In the old days, using Audit would touch performance - but today the effect is so little that it's almost impossible to measure.