Database down with ORA-7332... The fix...

From: JPeter5558 <jpeter5558_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/10/26

Our ORA-7332 and how we solved it...

“Help! We’re running a DEC Alpha Server 4100 with Digital Unix v3.2. After a  reboot the database has failed to come up, with ORA-7332.”

SRMGR> startup

ORA-7332: smsmat: shmat error unable to attach sga DEC OSF/1 (AXP) Error 12: Not enough space Additional information : 2

Thanks to all respondents. Apparently on some platforms at least a 7332 is a  redo log problem, but not on ours. The error does suggest a shared memory  problem.

Turns out that this problem can occur on all Unix platforms. Oracle Trace  instrumentation is in place on 7.3 in the database and in sqlnet. Some level  of trace processing occurs by default and can cause various problems,  including 7332. These problems may be long connect times, inability to open  database (our symptom) or inability to connect. Oracle has published  Article-ID: <Note:20391.1> describing the workaround.

The fix in brief... stop the database and sqlnet.

set EPC_DISABLED=TRUE in oracle’s .profile or .login. and also for the user. Add (ENVS=‘EPC_DISABLED=TRUE’) to the listener.ora after the ORACLE_HOME  clause.

cd $ORACLE_HOME/otrace/admin # reset the trace files rm -f process.dat regid.dat
otrccref

...(SID_DESC=
(SID_NAME=DB2)
(ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/OFA_base/app/oracle/product/7.3.2)
(ENVS='EPC_DISABLED=TRUE')
              )...

We found by setting the var in oracle’s environment, the database would start  but no one could connect. After adding the var to listener.ora and the user’s  .login we were back up.

We have no idea why this problem has not occurred on any of our other machines,  including a clone machine. But we’re a lot happier now.

Jim Peterson
** please respond to both addresses **
jpeter5558_at_aol.com
GHill_at_evalcomp.corr.ca.gov Received on Sun Oct 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT