Re: Upgrading 7.1 to 7.3 (Listener Problem)

From: Matthew Reagan <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1997/10/26

Greg,

Did you verify that the program file that you have specified in the listener.ora file is working correctly? Alas, I am on an Alpha 2100 running OpenVMS, so it is hard to picture your platform specific stuff. However, when we upgraded databases, the new Oracle system code tree was in a different location. The file that is run when the server process is started by the listener was pointing to the old code, and the old database instance. No connections through SQL*Net worked: The attempt to run the SVR executable would fail.

Walk through your listener.ora file. There should be the Solaris equivalent of a script file that specifies the Oracle code tree and SID to use for each spawned server process. I'm willing to bet that is where your problem lies.

If you can't find the problem, please elaborate on the process you used to upgrade your database. How you placed the new Oracle system files, did you move the database or instance specific files, do you have a default database for interactive and batch connections, is it the same, etc. Any details you give may cause one of "us" to suddenly remember fighting the same battle.

Good luck, and may the force be with you.

Matt...

Greg Deuel <gdeuel_at_frxsoft.com> wrote in article <345241db.62031381_at_client.sw.news.psi.net>...