Re: Unix over VMS

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/10/25

sankara.subram_at_coats.com >>
..why UNIX??Why not VMS?? <<

The shop I am in has two production VMS alpha Oracle rdbms running and an  Oracle Parrallel Server Unix system running.

Choose Unix over VMS for the following reasons: 1) VMS is a tier 2 platform and upgrades and new releases lag

     Unix releases by a considerable time frame  Even Unix on
     smaller vendors like SGI and Pyramid since Unix is Unix
      (almost).
2)  DEC seems committed to supporting DEC Unix and NT on
     the alpha platform.  VMS is an OS in decline.
3)  Oracle support, which gets mixed reviews at best, is very
     weak on VMS.  If you have other than a generic error
     you are in for a rough ride.

The other side is VMS is pretty solid, can run for months without rebooting,  and if you already have it you know it. Still, I would strongly encourage  looking at going Unix.

Mark Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow so follow your own advise Received on Sat Oct 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT