Re: HOW TO SET THE OPTIMIZER_MODE TO COST IN ORACLE 7.2.3 / 7.3.3

From: francisco.carreira <francisco.carreira_at_ine.pt>
Date: 1997/10/24

When you put parameter OPTIMIZER_MODE = CHOOSE there is two questions that arises:
first: is COMPATIBLE=7.3.3 ?
second: Do you have calculated statistics for the objects? That's the only way to take advantage of CHOOSE option.

Regards
Francisco Carreira
Pedro de Souza Rodrigues Filho wrote in message <34509B41.BE476D86_at_e-mail.com>...

            Hi fellows, this is my first time in this discution group and I havy some interest question for you.

            As a DBA, I was trying optimize a user query without change the database, just improoving the query. At certain moment I've decided use hints because the explain plan showed an incorrect use of index. The hints doesn't take effect !! After hours working in the problem, I discovered in an old manual that hints are valid just in optimizer_mode = cost, but when I try startup the database with this option in the init.ora, I receive a message saying this option "cost" is invalid. The default value for this parameter is "cost", but in the SQL*DBA, the option shows "choose" mode.

            By the way, I've contact Oracle Local support, but until

            If one of you could help me I will be so pleased and thankfull.
            Thanks in advance.