Re: Help coalescing free space

From: Thomas Vanya <twvanya_at_nospameastman.com>
Date: 1997/10/23

Although Oracle 7.1 and 7.2 do not have the COALESCE clause of the ALTER TABLESPACE command, some coalescing of neighboring free extents will be done by the SMON process if you have the proper tablespace settings in effect. Particularly, your PCTINCREASE value at the tablespace level must be non-zero. I use a 1percent PCTINCREASE value for my tablespaces and specify zero percent PCTINCREASE for segments within the tablespace. This allows for coalescing by SMON without the geometrical growth of extents caused by non-zero PCTINCREASE values for segments.

--
Thomas W. Vanya
Oracle and OracleRdb Database Administrator

Fuzzy <granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au> wrote in article
<344e96d4.4582877_at_newshost.interact.net.au>...