Re: Moving tables - URGENT

From: Joseph I. Lee <lee.98_at_osu.edu>
Date: 1997/10/23

Cherie Machler wrote:

> Here's our situation:
>
> Our third-party vendor app builds all of it's tables and
> indexes and software, etc. if they do not exist in a particular
> tablespace. From that point forward, it accesses these tables
> in that tablespace.
>
> We have the largest database this vendor has ever worked with.
> We are physically limited so we are only able give this single
> tablespace about half the space it needs (20 GIG). We had to
> create a second tablespace to hold the tables. We need to move
> some of the tables from the first tablespace to the second.
> We can not drop the tables and recreate them in the other tablespace.
>
> What are the other options?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Cherie

See Oracle 7 DB Backup and Recovery Volume2 of Student Guide 12-46/47 if any one you know attended the Oracle class.

The simplest way is by table

1. Export tables you want to move
2. Drop the tables
3. Create the tables in the desired tablespace
4. Import the table data, specifying 'IGNORE=Y' on the import command to
ignore CREATE errors and continue importing the data to the exsiting tables.

Joseph
lee.98_at_osu.edu Received on Thu Oct 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT