Re: ORA-08103 Object no longer exists

From: John Struse <struse-land_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/10/22

Patrick Callahan wrote:

> John Struse wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks;
> > I am using Oracle 7.3.2.3.0 on an HP Unix platform. Just recently we
> > began to get the above error when doing some selects. We finally traced
> > it to the fact that we had added some indexes to the table in question.
> > We get the error when doing:
> > select * from products where prod_code = ;NJ12345' and status = 'A';
>
> John,
>
> I'm also working with 7.3.2.3 on a K460 running 10.20 and have been
> experiencing the same problem. I was passed some code that did something
> like
>
> update t1
> set t1.fk_id = (select t2.id from t2 where t2.cd = t1.cd and t2.clndr_da
> = t1.clndr_da)
>
> Code works find under 7.2 and WIN95 but fails on the HP. It would
> sometimes bomb
> right away and sometimes bomb after updating just some of the records.
> The problem
> would go away if the the dates comparisions were removed. Of course this
> didn't give
> the right result. We were able to code around the problem and haven't
> had time
> to investiage it further. Again we only saw the problem when comparing
> dates. I'm
> going to check the schema tomorrow to see if any indexes were involved.
> I'll
> post in this group if I find anything.
>
> Patrick Callahan

I heard through an email reply to my posting from a person who found a similar query in DejaNews by typing in "ORA-08193" and asking for old messages: What he sent me was:

If you are using Oracle V7.3.2.x, there is a bug. From Oracle you can get a patch for that bug, the bug number is 434788. This bug results on some ports of oracle in this ORA-8103 message.

---
Also when I called Oracle today, they referenced a bug number of 424581
and were going to send me a patch.  So if it's not the one it should be
the other.

Thanks for the replies, and I hope this also helps you.

John Struse
(to reply please remove dash in email address)