Re: Can't connect with sqlplus

From: Dave Wotton <Dave.Wotton_at_it.camcnty.no-spam.gov.uk>
Date: 1997/10/21

jkomula_at_server.seas.ucla.edu (Jarno Komulainen) wrote:
> HELP!
>
>I have strange problem. I can't connect to database with
>sqlplus. When i enter username and passwd it just stops,
>no prompts or error messages.
>
>If i use INTERNAL or SYS userid then it connects normally,
>but any other userid causes hangup (i have to press twice
>ctrl+c to quit).
>
>DB is Oracle 7.3 and system is Solaris 2.5

Since you're on Solaris, try using truss to probe what's going on:

    truss -o /tmp/truss.out -rall -wall sqlplus userid/password

truss is a bit of a "sledgehammer". It shows you all the system calls being made by the monitored program. You can ignore most of it. But what it also shows you is the sql being sent to the server, and the server's responses. If there's something wrong at the server end, you should be able to see the last bit of sql sent to it before it hung. This may give you more clues.

The trace output is in /tmp/truss.out, the -rall and -wall options tell truss to log the entire contents of input and output buffers, not just the first few characters. man truss for more info.

HTH, Dave.

--

To reply by email, remove the "no-spam" bit from my email address.