Business Rules and Database Triggers

From: Mike Chan <mike.chan_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 1997/10/21

Hi all,

According to suggestions from some Oracle books and newsgroups, it seems that it was preferred to implement Business Rules via Database Triggers. Is there any way (formal or informal) way of presenting such information in Oracle Designer/2000 ?

I was thinking that I can create a new root function which consists of all the business rules in the application system and attach such business function to individual module which implement the rule. The new root function will never be run by Application Design Wizard because it was some sort of DUMMY function.

For example, if I have function BUS0001 for :

  Rule #1 : All staff must be of age 18 to 50.

Then, I will have module BUS0001 (tri-logic module) to implement this rule as DB Trigger. This is the only way I can think of.

Are there any another ways to document/implement this philosophy ?

Any suggestion/comment are welcome. Thanks

Regards
Mike
Please reply to mailto:mike.chan_at_bigfoot.com as well. Received on Tue Oct 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT