Re: APPLICATION TUNING

From: Srinivasan Sankar <srinisankar_at_nospam.com>
Date: 1997/10/17

Some more info on this from my friend Subbiah Subramanian (subbiah_s_at_usa.net) :

        Every day I an loading about 1/2 million record into my database. I
     have tried all methods, the best way is just load every thing into
     temp tables without any validation using SQL*LOADER Then use stored
     procedure to take data from temp table to actual tables. DO not have
     any foreign key constraints or any other constraints on temp table and
     do not perform any validations when you load data using SQL*LOADER.
     All validations must be performed using stored procedure .

        If BHAVESH PATEL need any more info I will be glad to help him

        Subbiah

BHAVESH PATEL wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can any one tell me the answer for the following questions relating to
> application tuning .
> Currently , I have a system which reads data from a flat file and stores it
> in a table after validations. For this we use UTL_FILE built-in package.
> This was working OK for now, it takes 15-20 min, to load 1000-5000 the
> records after validations. But now we are expecting a load of 50000 records
> to be read in and stored in the table after validations.
> I think loading the file thru a sqlloader into a temp table and then
> reading a temp table and validating the record and then inserting it into a
> master table. Which is the best method for the performance? Can anyone
> suggest me what to do or is there any other solution to this or Is there a
> better way to do same thing. I mean is there any other way to load the data
> into a table from a file after validation checks without using UTL_FILEs
> and also can you please tell me which is fastest, UTL_FILE operation which
> reads in one record at a time and validates it and stores it in a table or
> using a temp table and reading from a temp table. Hope to get a clear and
> descriptive answer.
>
> Thanks a lot for your kindness and have a nice weekend and a great day.
> Bhavesh

"There are no strangers in life, only friends you've not yet met"
Srinivasan Sankar                         srinisankar_at_hotmail.com
P.S:- Replace "nospam" with "hotmail" while replying to me