UTL_FILE pkg and client side woes

From: Gopal <gopal_at_astro.temple.edu>
Date: 1997/10/17

Hi Guys

       I am trying to write an Utility using PL/SQL . Our backend is HP/Unix-Oracle 7.3 and front end in this context is is SQL PLUS on Win/NT 3.51.

In my utility I need to write stuff out to a file. I want to use the UTL_FILE package.

In my stored proc within a package, I declare a file_handle variable with the appropriate type.

Then I try the FOPEN file with a directory on my client box and NOT the server. It just does not work... it comes with a 'user defined error'. The program does compile and the error appears to be a 'runtime' error.

I found out that there is a parameter called UTL_FILE_DIR which needs to be set in the initSID.ora file and that the Oracle instance be brought down and backup. However the directories in this parameter point to stuff on the Unix server.

Does it make sense to include the client side directories here ?.

If not what else can I do to make UTL_FILE package write to the specified client directory.

Regards
Gopal

Please email to gopal_at_astro.ocis.temple.edu Received on Fri Oct 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT