Re: Help on multi-Instance on a server

From: John Steinbach <bach_at_bartlett.com>
Date: 1997/10/16

To create a second instance on NT:

  1. Copy init[sid].ora file to init[new_sid].ora
  2. Change the following in init[new_sid].ora db_name=[new database name] control_files=[new_control file] * very important to change this*
  3. Go to instance manager (Not the OEM version) and press new button change name of database. Set password.
  4. From DOS prompt type SET ORACLE_SID=[new_sid]
  5. SVRMGR23 connect internal/ password
  6. Startup pfile=init[new_sid].ora
  7. Edit LISTENER.ORA to reflect [new_sid]
  8. LSNRCTL STOP
  9. LSNRCTL START
  10. Edit TNSNAMES.ORA to reflect [new_sid]
  11. Create tablespaces, rbs and all other fun stuff.

I did this yesterday and it worked fine. It was preformed on the server not over the network.

John Steinbach