Re: Performance Related

From: Ian Cary <cary_at_gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Date: 1997/10/16

  I agree with what David says about the size of your sga. The parameter which controls redo_buffers is log_buffer in the init.ora and I would recommend setting this to at least 102400.

In response to your other question, the ORA-1631 is caused when a table reaches the maximum number of extents allowed. This is usually because the INITIAL and NEXT extent table parameters have been set too small although it could, of course, be caused by having MAXETENTS set too low. You will have to try to identify which table is trying to extend when you get this message and examine dba_tables to identify the problem. You can then try something like;

alter table <table_name> storage (next <50*what_it currently_is>K maxextents unlimited);

Note the 50*what_it_currently_is is intended to be an example of the syntax and it is preferable if you could do some sizing rather than usuing this arbitary figure. Also the unlimited extents parameter only came in in 7.3.3 and was previously determined by block size with the following limits.

Block Size             Max Maxextents
2k                            121
4K                            255 (I think)
8K                            505

Hope this helps,

Ian Received on Thu Oct 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT