Re: Moving tables - URGENT

From: Carlos Orozco <corozco_at_ij.net>
Date: 1997/10/16

Cherie Machler wrote:

> Here's our situation:
>
> Our third-party vendor app builds all of it's tables and
> indexes and software, etc. if they do not exist in a particular
> tablespace. From that point forward, it accesses these tables
> in that tablespace.
>
> We have the largest database this vendor has ever worked with.
> We are physically limited so we are only able give this single
> tablespace about half the space it needs (20 GIG). We had to
> create a second tablespace to hold the tables. We need to move
> some of the tables from the first tablespace to the second.
> We can not drop the tables and recreate them in the other tablespace.
>
> What are the other options?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Cherie

      I'm not too sure what your situation is currently. If you need to move tables, your best bet is to export, drop and import. If your using Enterprise manager, you can simply point and click on tables and enter the new tablespaces you wish them to be in. as for index you may use the alter index rebuild, and specify the tablespace you want it to go into; this will take time since your rebuild a large DB; take it one table at a time. If your short in space - and you're on UNIX - you may want to export and compress your export - there was an example of this on Oracle Magazine not too long ago- check their web site for archived articles on compress. hope this helps. Received on Thu Oct 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT