Re: Backup software on DEC Alpha

From: Graham Thornton <dangermouse_at_prodigy.nospam.net>
Date: 1997/10/15

Joey,

We have a very similar installation to yours, and we are in the process of desinging our backup strategy.

Basically, we need 24x7 availability, so every night a DCL script is run to place the Oracle tablespaces into backup mode. Then the OpenVMS backup utility software is used to archive the files to tape. After they files have been archived, another DCL script is used to place the tablespaces back in regular mode.

I have tested this approach and it seems to work reliablly. Provided you have your database is Archive Log mode, and keep all your archived redo-logs from the last backup until the present, this strategy provides a high level of protection against all but a simultaneous media failure of the disk(s) holding the Oracle datafiles and the disk holding the archived redo-logs.

Hope this is useful

Graham

jbozen_at_stfrancis.edu wrote in article <876239177.644_at_dejanews.com>...