SQL-92 OUTER JOIN CONFORMANCE

From: Mike Rowland <102622.2522_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1997/10/15

What databases FULLY support the SQL-92 Left outer joins. To me this includes the following:
1. A table can left join to more than one table:

        A lj B, A lj C
2. A table can left join in a chain:

        A lj B, B lj C
3. It supports the SQL-92 Outer join Syntax:

	SELECT PERSON.NAME, PHONE.TYPE, PHONE.NUMBER
	FROM PERSON LEFT OUTER JOIN PHONE ON
		PHONE.SSN = PERSON.SSN AND
		PHONE.TYPE = 'HOME'
	WHERE	PERSON.STATUS = 'ACTIVE'

All three of these are required when reporting from complex sys's that don't require certain information, and don't code default values for everything. These databases support these options:

  MS SQL Server 6.0:  	  2,3	(Requires newest drivers)
  MS SQL Server 6.5:  	1,2,3	(Requires newest drivers)
  MS Access 95:		1,2*,3  (but not = joins from B to C)
  MS Access 97:		1,2*,3  (but not = joins from B to C)
  ORACLE 7.3.3		  2	(This really hurts!)
If these are incorrect please give examples, I am curious about:   ORACLE 8, SYBASE, DB2 for NT, DB2 for AIX Thanks in Advance, Mike Rowland, MRowland1_at_compuserve.com

* The opinions expressed are solely the opinion of Mike Rowland *
* and not those of Cap Gemini America. *