Re: Does table trigger fire on SQLLoader DIRECT load?

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/10/15

Table insert triggers are disabled when a direct path load begins. After the rows have been loaded and any indexes have been rebuilt, the triggers which were disabled will be re-enabled automatically. The log file used during the load should list any triggers which were disabled.

Insert triggers are not re-applied to the table after the load (using the direct path). As you are bypassing some of the "normal" database processing, this translates into achieve blazing load performance.

You could implement the same logic of the triggers in a small PL/SQL procedure, which you manually execute after the direct load. You would have to compare the relative performance of the direct load + procedure vs. conventional load.

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997 13:54:37 -0600, kgrigg_at_acxiom.com wrote:

>Hello all!
>I am using SQL Loader 8.0 to load a table on an Oracle 8 server. This
>table has an after insert trigger that put data into 2 other tables based
>on the values inserted into it. I have had this work successfully using
>SQL Loader using the 'conventional' method. I tried it using the DIRECT
>method to try to speed things up, but, it doesn't appear that the trigger
>fired....can you make it work using the direct method or do I just have to
>stick with the conventional method?
>
>TIA!!
>
>Kelly
>kgrigg_at_acxiom.com
>
>ps. Please cc by mail too...our newsfeed is NOT reliable and I have missed
>messages from it...thanks!

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman                          Enabling the Information Age!
Oracle Government, Education, & Health
Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Oct 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT