Re: 2nd Instance & TNSNAMES.ORA

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/10/15

Not sure if you're accessing this locally or remotely. Assuming you are accessing from a client to a server, you will also need to make corresponding changes on the server in the LISTENER.ORA file, essentially the SQL*Net Listener configuration file.

Although you can define multiple database listeners to listen on different ports, you can utilize a single listener on a single port for multiple databases.

A sample listener.ora would be:

LISTENER =
( ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = jkallman)
(Port = 1521)
)

)
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = context)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = oracle)
    )
  )

STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10 On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 20:09:25 -0400, John Steinbach <bach_at_bartlett.com> wrote:

>I finally got my second instance up on 7.3.3. However...what changes are
>needed in the TNSNAMEs.ora file? I tried to copying the entry for the
>ORCL instance and changing the SID but this just rendered both instances
>unavailable. Is it the port settings?
>
>Dazed and confused.
>John Steinbach

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman                          Enabling the Information Age!
Oracle Government, Education, & Health
Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Oct 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT