Re: Foriegn key checking.

From: Dan Clamage <clamage_at_mime.dw.lucent.com>
Date: 1997/10/15

Mark Parssey <markpa_at_delm.tas.gov.au> wrote in article <01bcd79b$fc2de460$ad0b6d93_at_l8ip173.delm.tas.gov.au>...
> I have a table which is driving me around the twist.
In America we say "around the bend". How quaint.

> The table holds only a few values, the key field is char 3 & currently
 has
> the values 3.1, 3.2, 4 & 5.
> It does work Ok for 4% but also fails for 4 'space' 'space' or 'space'
> 'space' 4.

My guess is that char(3) fields will have trailing spaces, so you'd have to query for
 '4 ' and '5 '. The fact that LIKE '4%' succeeds tells me that you have trailing spaces in your fixed length char columns. Verify this by selecting '^' || col || '^' to check for the spaces. Make sure all foreign key references have trailing vs. leading spaces. You never know what kind of garbage you've inserted. Perhaps you should use '4.0' and '5.0' instead, for uniformity.
My other comment is that these are indeed strange primary/foreign key values.
-djc Received on Wed Oct 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT