Re: Best way to handle Oracle shutdowns from Unix script

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1997/10/14

Steve Walterhouse (microcon_at_magicnet.net) wrote:
: question 1: write a script to capture process id(s) of active Oracle
: connections - $pid=`ps -ef | grep oracle<SID> | cut <options>`
: then superuser kill those process ids,
: then shutdown normal.

Jeez, your a cruel man, Steve :)

: This works better than doing a shutdown immediate every time you
: shutdown. If you shutdown immediate time after time, eventually you run
: into problems.

A cycle of : 'shutdown immediate, startup restrict, shutdown normal' can also be used to ensure that the database is normally shutdown and that no users sneak on between the kills and shutdown normal - however remote the chance.

It strikes me that getting the database to terminate the transactions may be cleaner than just aiming a kill signal at the client/shadow processes.

The shutdown immediate will kick all users off the database and will rollback all un-committed work, so there should be no danger of having partial transactions *unless* the application has been written to allow them - which is generally not the case (<grin>).

--
In an attempt to reduce junk email I use an invalid 'From' address.
My correct email address can be determined by replacing 'not.valid' with