Re: Oracle 7.3.2 and RAID

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1997/10/14

Gary England wrote:

> Craig Munday wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience with Oracle 7.3.2
> > running on a RAID subsystem.
> >
> > In particular I am looking for experience with different RAID levels including:
> >
> > - performance,
> > - watch I should watch out for when implementing a database on top of RAID,
> > - should all datafiles/redo logs be put on the RAID disk subsystem ( I can
> > see problem with this, but would like your opinion).
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Craig Munday
>
> Been there, done that, no worries.
>
> DO NOT USE SOFTWARE RAID! If NT gets tripped up, it will eat your whole
> file system, and it trips real easy.
>
> Like anything else, alternate media is good. I put the DB on and
> external RAID, but archived to an internal SCSI; then copied the new
> archive files to tape hourly over the network ... far, far away.
>
> Good luck,
> Gary

We use Veritas Volume Manager (software RAID) under Sun Solaris and have never experienced a single problem...

Under NT...well, I let the other mailers speak for themselves.

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology
Perth
Australia
email: mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au
"My views are not BHP ...blah blah"
"Opera singers are the only people that when you
 stick a knife in them, they sing, not bleed"