Foriegn key checking.

From: Mark Parssey <markpa_at_delm.tas.gov.au>
Date: 1997/10/13

I have a table which is driving me around the twist.

It is being used as a foreign key and is stopping the app. by failing to query successfully.

The table holds only a few values, the key field is char 3 & currently has the values 3.1, 3.2, 4 & 5.

A query for all values or for 3.1 or 3.2 is OK but when I do a simple query on that table using the 4 or 5 it fails. It does work Ok for 4% but also fails for 4 'space' 'space' or 'space' 'space' 4.

This same behaviour is causing the entry screen which attempts to use these values (4 or 5) as foreign keys to reject any attempt to use them.

Can someone tell me what is going on?

I don't really want to have to change the field to numeric as the fields relate to sections of a parlimentary act and could jsut as likely refer to 6A or similiar in the future.

And just to top it off.
Having got frustrated with the foreign key prob on the entry screen I did an alter table drop constraint.
All seems fine. SQLPlus said table altered , there is no entry in user-contraints that would indicate that the Fkey constraint still exists. But the screen still gives Fkey errors, even after killing the session & connecting again.

Is this logic being implemented on the client side somehow & do I need to make changes to the form? Received on Mon Oct 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT