Re: Java and Oracle

From: Phil Bradley <pbradley_at_pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1997/10/11

arpege

We are currently using Java against an Oracle database.

arpege wrote:

> What is the goal of Oracle when it wants to introduce Java at the server
> level ?

Bear in mind that things are still fluid in the Java to Relational world. I listened to fairly senior technician from Oracle yesterday, and Oracle are persuing (at least) 2 fundamentaly incompatible strategies. Java on the server is about doing things in Java best done at the server for performance reasons.

> For example, is it possible to a java program that would be sent from
> the
> client to the server, executed there with results being sent back to
> client ? Would it replace ODBC/SQLNET ?

JDBC will replace ODBC/SQLNET.

> What are the other possibilities ???

JSQL will replace PLSQL.

> Has anyone tried such experiences with Java Oracle ?

My view is that object to relational mapping layers will standardise the mappings between the object and relational worlds. Which one you use depends on whether you are going from an existing RDBMS to new Object classes or visa versa.

We have evaluated 4 different approaches to Java communicating with an Oracle database, all of which work (with the occasional bug).

Start by downloading JDK1.1 and an JDBC driver (level 4, 100% pure recommended - Oracle has one).

Hope this helps

Phil Bradley Received on Sat Oct 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT