help on using Oracle

From: <dshi_at_magpage.com>
Date: 1997/10/11

Hi,

We just started using Oracle, the server is on unix. I have some miscellelaous questions to ask (please also forward your help to my e-mail account, dshi_at_magpage.com, since I can't follow the newsgroup). Thank you very much.

  1. Can you easily rename a database instance?
  2. Can you easily drop a database instance without having to manually delete all the related files?
  3. Can you easily make a table only readable (to both yourself and other users)?
  4. Can you easily dump a table to a text file and generate conresponding Sql*loader control file? What is the best way to move tables among different platforms?
  5. If a server has 2~3GB memory, how much would be appropriate to allocate to Oracle? My understanding is that SGA is grabbed by Oracle at startup and won't be available to other applications, and sort area is only used when Oracle need to do sorting, and released after the sorting is done, is this correct?
  6. Has anyone started Server Manager (graphic mode on Sun) on a PC side with any Xwindow emulator? I couldn't do that, Oracle technical support said you have to start from a Unix consol directly, is it right?

Again, thank you very much for your help.

David Received on Sat Oct 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT