Re: Configuring SQlNet for Personal Oracle

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/10/10

Judith Shepherd <shepherd_at_westnet.com> wrote in article <343D93BD.301F4EE5_at_westnet.com>...

> When I open Daemon Manager, In the Configuration Parameter for the
> Listener address says "Not Found"

 <snip>
> I tried to start the listener using LSNRCTL but I get a series of TNS
> errors
> My question is "What is Bequeath." I have never heard of this protocol.
> (the SQLNet configurator keeps showing it in the protocol list)

You don't need to use SQL*Net or the listener if you're using Oracle with local client programs. The clients will make an IPC-type (inter process communication) connection to the database instance (just leave the hostname/servername entry blank when making a connection). The only time that you will need the listener and SQL*Net up and running is if you wish to access the PO7 database from another Oracle client or server platform, or if you wish to make a network loopback connection to the database on the same platform.

To configure and use the listener, you need to have a network protocol stack installed, i.e. TCP/IP, IPX/SPX or NetBEUI. Both TNSNAMES.ORA and LISTENER.ORA configuration files must then be configured for the appropriate protocol stack(s). I've only used TCP/IP so here goes.

---LISTERNER.ORA---
LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = billyv)
          (Port = 1521)
        )

   )
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = ORCL)
    )
  )

The above LISTENER entry tells the listener to use TCP as the protocol and to listen for connections on TCP port 1521. The SID_LIST_LISTENER entry tells the listener what database(s) it is listening for (sid is the database's system id which is by default always ORCL). After configuring your PC's protocol stack and LISTENER.ORA file, start the listener - it should work.

The TNSNAMES.ORA is the configuration file for Oracle clients. It contains the SIDs that can be connected to, the protocols to use to connect, the port to connect on etc. As for the Bequeath protocol, I'm also in the dark. Maybe some kind of Oracle protocol used for IPC? Anyway, you don't need it, although you can use such a TNS entry to connect to your local database.

To make a network (loopback) connection:

----TNSNAMES.ORA----
tcp-loopback.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = 127.0.0.1)
          (Port = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )

The important entries are the ip address, the port to connect on and the SID (remember that the listener may be listening for several SIDs). You can substitute the name tcp-loobback with your database name and the host name with your PC's actual IP address too - you do not have to use the loopback ip address.

To test the above use "TNSPING tcp-loopback" in a DOS shell.

Good luck. :-)

regards,
Billy
PS. I never use Easy Config-type utilities - it easier to do it manually and at least you get an idea of how Oracle works. Received on Fri Oct 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT