Funny way to crash Oracle

From: Vsevolod Afanasjev <afanasjev_at_cse.unsw.edu.au>
Date: 1997/10/09

Hi, All,
I just discovered the funny way to crash Oracle. On my home PC, I set time to year 2097. After this: 1. Under Win95, SQL*DBA, Oracle Installer, orastart all produce some kind of Win95' General Protection Fault, Program performed illegal operation, etc.
2. It is not much better under WinNT. I'm able to start the instance, but an attempt to mount db (from Server Manager) leads to ORA-... DBWR process crashed... and the only way is SHUTDOWN ABORT.
Oracle Installer also does not work.

When I return date to 1997 (or something like 2007, I didn't experiment with this) it works just fine.

Isn't Oracle supposed to work until 4713 AD? At least, this is supported range of DATE, according to SQL Reference.

Seva Received on Thu Oct 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT