Accessing non-ORCL instance from SQLNet

From: Dick Willis <rmw_at_synchrony.com>
Date: 1997/10/07

This should be straightforward, but something is preventing me from connecting to an instance named XABC (for example) over SQLNet.

Let's say that my new instance is named XABC. I can connect locally ( Service name 2:XABC), no problems, but whenever I try to connect from another workstation, it comes back with the error

 ORA 12505 - TNS:Listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor.

This is true whether I use the SYS, Internal, SYSTEM or other DBA-granted user account, or a CONNECT or RESOURCE-granted user account. It doesn't even seem to get to the point of authenticating a user.

SysInfo:	ORACLE 7.3
	SQLNet v2.0
	Win NT 4.0

Thanks. Received on Tue Oct 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT