Rollback Segment Error

From: <immigrant_at_a.new.country>
Date: 1997/10/06

I am having a problem with my rollback segments..

I was running a large transaction to which I explicitly assigned a large rollback segment. At some point, the process was stopped because the maximum number of extents was reached. So, I increased the maximum number of extents. However, when I tried to start the process again, I immediately got the following error message:

ORA-01562 failed to extend rollback segment (ID=3) Cause: A failure occurred while trying to extend the rolback segment. The problem is usually lack of space in the database to extend the rollback segment.

I checked the size of the rollback tablespace and it seems like there is plenty of space. I ran the same process successfully many times before. So, I don't know what is going on....

Also, I tried to take the rollback segment offline and online again, but its status has been 'PENDING OFFLINE' for quite sometime even though I am not doing any updates currenly. It seems to me that for some reason the rollback segment is not being cleared. Can it be because the process that used the rollback segment was not completed successfully before it committed or rollbacked the transaction?

Any ideas???

Tansel Received on Mon Oct 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT