Re: Multiple Instances

From: Sheilah Scheurich <scheuric__at__sprynet_.com>
Date: 1997/10/06

Brian Camper wrote:

> Sorry for the newbie question, but we have to learn somehow. I am running
> into a problem of wanting to run multiple instances concurrently on our
> server. We have an instance ORCL, and FRA. ORCL is the default instance
> and I have no problem with that one. Both services are up and running and
> I can connect to the FRA when I am on actual server. The connect string I
> have to use is 2:fra. The next step I tried was creating a SQL Easy Net
> Config alias for the instance. I created it called cdtfra. When I try
> logging in remotely or local with SQL Easy Net Config, it comes back with:
>
> ERROR: ORA-12505: TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect
> descriptor
>
> If anyone can help, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance.
> By the way, this is Oracle 7.3.3.0.0 on a Window NT network.
>
> Brian Camper
>
> brianc_at_cmhc.comWhen you are creating the alias, do you have the actual SID name
defined? Is is spelled correctly? Is the the correct case? Look in the definition, my guess is that you have most likely spelled something wrong. Look at the definition of the ORCL and see if (with the exception of the name) they look exactly alike. Try doing it without the alias first, then add an alias if you would like.

--
Sheilah Scheurich
DBA

My opinions are my own and not that of my
employer.

To respond via email, remove underscores.