Re: latch importance

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/10/04

From: arpege <arpege_at_imaginet.fr> >>
Do latch have any importance when my Oracle database is running on a  mono-processor system ? <<

I take mono-processor to mean one cpu. If your Oracle is running on a  multi-tasking OS like Unix, MVS, VMS, or NT the I would say yes. A latch is a  single threading device, i.e., lock used by the database to control access to  shared resouces like the buffer pool LRU list. This is about the only latch I  ever find waits on in our environment. Muiltiple user processes and Oracle  background processes access this resouce via a latch mechinism even though  our VMS machine has only one cpu.. Our multiple cpu unix maching Oracle rdbms  works the same way.

I hope this helps and I correctly understood mono-processor.

Mark Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow so follow your own advise Received on Sat Oct 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT