Re: Privileges of DBMS_SQL in a stored procedure

From: Tobias Hitzfeld <Hitzfeld_at_Schoepflin.de>
Date: 1997/10/04

--------------4D6E0E8A5B13C71838899C19

Hi Michael!
Let me quess: You'r calling your procedure, while you're connected with another schema-sure, 'cause
you'll copy the view !!!

Make sure while using dynamic sql that
1) the user which is calling your procedure has the system privileges to create a view
2) the user which is calling your procedure has received the object privileges to access to the base tables/views of the view,

    you wish to create!

Even if the proc-caller will temporarely receive the same rights as the proc-owner !!! The proc-caller is executing dynamic sql and so, his own system- and object-priviliges will be checked !!!!!

Scincerly yours
T.Hitzfeld
Oracle DBA

Michael Cretan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have created a procedure that creates views in a schema.  It does
> this
> by extracting the view definitions from tables into a varchar2 field,
> and then calls the dbms_sql package to create the view.
>
> Whilst the PL/SQL works quite happily when executed at the sql prompt,
>
> when I store it in the database as a procedure and execute it, I get
> insufficient privilege errors being raised by the DBMS_SQL package.
>
> This strikes me as a little strange as the procedure is stored in the
> same schema as the views, and their underlying base tables.  DBMS_SQL
> is
> supposed to inherit the privileges of the schema where the procedure
> is
> stored.
>
> Has anyone had this problem, and maybe found a workaround for it ?
>
> We are running Oracle v7.3.2.3.0 on and AIX box.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Cretan

--------------4D6E0E8A5B13C71838899C19

<HTML>

Hi Michael!
<BR>Let me quess: You'r calling your procedure, while you're connected
with another schema-sure, 'cause
<BR>you'll copy the view !!!

<P>Make sure while using dynamic sql that
<BR>1) the user which is calling your procedure has the system privileges
to create a view
<BR>2) the user which is calling your procedure has received the object
privileges to access to the base tables/views of the view,
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; you wish to create!

<P>Even if the proc-caller will temporarely receive the same rights as
the proc-owner !!! The proc-caller is executing dynamic sql and so, his own system- and object-priviliges will be checked !!!!!

<P><B><FONT SIZE=+2>Scincerly yours</FONT></B>
<BR><B><FONT SIZE=+2>T.Hitzfeld</FONT></B>
<BR>Oracle DBA

<P>Michael Cretan wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi,

<P>I have created a procedure that creates views in a schema.&nbsp; It
does this
<BR>by extracting the view definitions from tables into a varchar2 field,
<BR>and then calls the dbms_sql package to create the view.

<P>Whilst the PL/SQL works quite happily when executed at the sql prompt,
<BR>when I store it in the database as a procedure and execute it, I get
<BR>insufficient privilege errors being raised by the DBMS_SQL package.

<P>This strikes me as a little strange as the procedure is stored in the
<BR>same schema as the views, and their underlying base tables.&nbsp; DBMS_SQL
is
<BR>supposed to inherit the privileges of the schema where the procedure
is
<BR>stored.

<P>Has anyone had this problem, and maybe found a workaround for it ?

<P>We are running Oracle v7.3.2.3.0 on and AIX box.

<P>Thanks,

<P>Mike Cretan</BLOCKQUOTE>

&nbsp;&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------4D6E0E8A5B13C71838899C19-- Received on Sat Oct 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT