Re: Archive logs

From: Someone <answers_at_erols.com.tyfns>
Date: 1997/10/04

--------------876789C121CEA64FE0777B95

In general, you should keep the last three full backups and all incrementals (which includes archive logs taken as part of the last full backup). Another rule is to keep all back-ups for 30, 60, or 90 days. There are other reasons to keep backups, such as a user did something wrong and needs to recover a specific table to a certain point in time. I would expect you are also considering off-site storage of back-up media.

Enjoy!

opus wrote:

> We've just been getting into Oracle since Xmas and our backup strategy
>
> is haphazard at best. Mostly just doing O/S backups and exporting now
>
> and again. Nothing of great importance in Oracle yet but it's coming.
>
> Anway, done 3 installations and I've got 2 running in Archive log mode
>
> which seems to be way safer than not too if you want to do restores
> and
> be up to date (which I do to try out ie. delete datafiles here and
> there
> and do a recovery of varying sorts). My question and I digress slowly
> -
> What do most folk do with the Archive Logs after a full backup?
> most but the last few or what? I'd be very interested in what others
> have in way of a backup strategy as well? We're quite small for now
> with maybe 20 users tops of any Oracle database with way less than 1
> gig
> of info so far.

--------------876789C121CEA64FE0777B95

begin:          vcard
fn:             Someone
n:              ;Someone
email;internet: answers_at_erols.com.tyfns
title:          Important
note:           Remove tyfns from my email address to reply.  TYFNS stands for "Thank you for not spamming."
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
end: vcard

--------------876789C121CEA64FE0777B95-- Received on Sat Oct 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT