finding column names

From: karsten <karsten_at_gis.shl.com>
Date: 1997/10/03

Hi,

 I am looking for an efficient way to find out whether a table  has a certain column (or a set of columns) or not.

 As far as I can see, there are two options:

  1. try to select these columns, and catch the exception "invalid column name"
  2. query the data dictionary (all_tables / all_tab_columns)

 which way is to prefer ? (considering sga, reparsing, caching ....)

Thanks
Karsten Received on Fri Oct 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT