Re: case INsensitive queries

From: Someone <answers_at_erols.com.tyfns>
Date: 1997/10/03

--------------E849DC21CF1B9D684255FCF9

select blah, blahblah from blabla where 'BLAH' = UPPER(bLaH)

This has the disadvantage of invoking a function on a possibly indexed column thereby turning off the index. Depending on the number of rows and expected result, this may or may not be significant. Suggest using COST based with COMPUTED stats on this table and indexes.

Enjoy!

Steve Larson wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to store data in mixed case in an Oracle
> database,
> yet have Oracle ignore case when parsing where statements?
>
> Is it possible to acheive this by defining my own character set? Any
> hints on
> how to do this?

--------------E849DC21CF1B9D684255FCF9

begin:          vcard
fn:             Someone
n:              ;Someone
email;internet: answers_at_erols.com.tyfns
title:          Important
note:           Remove tyfns from my email address to reply.  TYFNS stands for "Thank you for not spamming."
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
end: vcard

--------------E849DC21CF1B9D684255FCF9-- Received on Fri Oct 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT