Re: Database shutdown on NT

From: Greg Kainz <gkainz_at_rmi.net>
Date: 1997/10/03

Looks like I missed the previous details; I assume it was "Hey! How do I make my NT Server shutdown my database cleanly when it shuts down, crashes, etc?" Right? Wish I knew! I suppose that one could call a macro from your UPS shutdown routine, but that only addresses a powerout shutdown. I created a stoporcl.cmd file, put it on the desktop containing

c:\orant40\bin\oradim73.exe -shutdown -shutmode n -sid ORCL -usrpwd oracle -shuttype inst

but then I have to remember to execute it before shutdown. It doesn't address non-controlled shutdowns, however.... Any ideas?
Steve Haynes wrote:

> In article <3431f9c3.5067091_at_news.oleane.net>, Radu Caulea
> <caulea_at_inforoute.cgs.fr> writes
> >On 11 Sep 1997 00:18:11 GMT, "_DEFAULT" <_DEFAULT_at_prodigy.net> wrote:
> >
> >>You don't need to have NT call your shutdown script. The Oracle database
> >>shuts down automatically when the server is powered down.
> >>

> >Sorry to insist, but Oracle is shutdown abort and this is
> >inconceivable for me and the database. I don't pretend something is
> >bugged, but Once in Four shutdowns, at startup Oracle forces a crash
> >recovery ;-(
> >
> >Regards, Radu
> Its worse than that, its not shutdown abort, its kill_process().
> (Even in 8.0.3 I'm told).
> Steve
> --
> "What we have here is a failure to communicate..."

               DataWeb Consulting Services, Inc.
              "Web-enabling your databases today"
voice:(303)517-3863                       FAX:(303)422-5107
                       gkainz_at_rmi.net