Re: How to get a variable length ASCII file from SQL*PLUS output

From: Chris Hamilton <Christopher.H.Hamilton_at_usace.army.mil>
Date: 1997/10/03

Bu Yun Fei <yfbu_at_ctlsg.creaf.com> wrote ...

> I'm currently doing data conversion from Oracle database and I need to
> output data to a variable length ASCII file, which means at the end of
> each record inside the file, there shouldn't be any trailing space
> behind. It seems to me that the output from SQL*PLUS is always fixed
> length.

If you have SQL*Plus 3.3 (or is it 3.2) or greater, there is a new command, "SET TRIMSPOOL ON". This causes blanks at the end of each line to be truncated, regardless of LINESIZE.

Oracle probably got a million requests for that feature!

Chris

Chris Hamilton - Oracle Database Admin.
AVANCO Intl. / US Army Corps of Engineers Christopher.H.Hamilton_at_usace.army.mil
http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html Received on Fri Oct 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT